Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Refurbishing an Antique Metal Workbench: Part 2

 Finally got around to finishing the workbench. I sanded the rough paint and added another coat, and two coats where I hadn't painted previously. Still didn't come out perfect, would really need a paint booth for that, not a tarp on my drive way, but it's good enough. I started re-assembly after the paint dried using new hardware. I heavily greased the drawer slides to prevent them from rusting and make drawer action smoother. 




Next, epoxy top. I did a seal coat first:



Then I mixed up a huge batch with a small jar of white pigment in it. The pigment wasn't strong enough, so it was still somewhat translucent. 


Lots of drips. 

I used an oscillating saw and sander to cut the drips off. I hate how much epoxy the drip-off method wastes. Next time I do this, I'll make edge molds. 


Mini-lathe has a home now!

Decided not to print rubber feet for it. I might build a plywood platform for it later if the mini-lathe feels too low. 

Total time invested: ~32 hours
Total cost: ~$250


Other stuff:
Still cleaning and organizing my garage. I'm designing a workbench, and I'm planning to rip out the crappy cabinets soon that the previous owner left. I finally ran electricity to my 3D printer shelf and got the old printer running again...printed nonstop for about a week to catch up on the backlog. I'll get around to assembling CubeXY eventually. 

No comments:

Post a Comment