Search This Blog

Saturday, March 31, 2018

Wanhao i3: Thingiverse Things Reviewed

This post is continuously updating list of Thingiverse Things I've made with my Wanhao i3 v2.1. It's split up into sections: 1. Things I've made that have 100% worked, 2. Things made that sort of work, 3. Things made that don't work. 4. Things I want to make. 5. Test articles. Most of these have comments in other posts.

Things that 100% work

  1. better filament guide for the Wanhao i3. I designed this.
  2. A SSD adapter for a Supermicro drive tray I designed this.
  3. T-rex This came out awesome.
  4. MOSFET holder . Worked great. The small threads are modeled, which is pointless, but that doesn't affect use.
  5. Fucktopus. A classic
  6. Dachshund Cookie Cutter. I managed to get the best layer consistency I've ever had on this print. Had to get extra prime just right for the ear to come out.
  7. Celtic skull. I printed the candle holder remix of this. Came out great
  8. Mini barrel-o-monkeys. I just printed the monkeys
  9. toothbrush holder
  10. Nautilus gears
  11. Sanding blocks. Printed all of the stl's
  12. Totoro coat rack revised. I remixed this, but ended up redesigning most of it.
  13. Barbell cookie cutter. I designed this
  14. Cable corners. Had to try a couple times to get the scale right for my cables, but otherwise good.
  15. Batman cookie cutter
  16. Yin yang cookie cutter
  17. Cat cookie cutter
  18. Fidget cube
  19. Gyro bearing fidget thing. Had to use supports and brim for the balls, and it took some trimming to get the balls to come out well
  20. Spaghetti measure tool
  21. Family guy alien
  22. Elliptical gears

Things that sort of work

  1. Ball bearing spool holder. The Wanhao i3's spool holder is too short for most 1kg spools. This thing worked the best out of the 3 spool holders I printed. I had to sand about 0.2mm off the width of the bar part that inserts into the original spool holder (my original spool holder's slot measured 15.8mm at one end and a bit over 16mm at the other), but otherwise works great. The bearings (which I got off eBay) were a perfect fit.
  2. Y axis belt tensioner. 3D printer belts are a pain to tension manually. A tensioner generally uses a screw mechanism to make tensioning easier. This one worked ok. The little nubs that the belt loops around broke off, but I was able to superglue them back into place. The holes for the M4 screws were also about 1mm too far apart...had to dremel one of them. The ends also aren't in the same plane, which isn't ideal. Otherwise, it worked great. Belt, screw, and nut clearances were spot on. I printed the X-axis version of this too, which is almost identical, but haven't tried it yet.
  3. Bed spring cups. You have to scale them up 110%, and suggest only using them on bottom. I had bad layer adhesion with them, but that was probably my printer.
  4. DiiiCooler. I had some issues with supports, but that was my printers problem, and it's not suggested to use supports at all. I had to lower mine using washers as spacers because it wasn't quite low enough (was blowing on the nozzle more than the extruded filament). It's also really hard to see the print. It does seem to work pretty well, though.
  5. Filament guide. I think this is the best one on thingiverse as of my downloading it. Most of the others are very flexible because they're so thin. However, the notch for the metal angle brace for the spool holder is at the wrong angle, requiring you to take pliers/dremel the notch larger. It also holds the filament pretty far out away from the extruder.
  6. Jet engine. A few of the tolerances were off, and the with-support part versions tended to break chunks of blade off when you pulled the supports off. Assembly is a pain. Otherwise, it's a great model.
  7. Ethernet cable clip repair thingy. I don't think these work on all cables, but it seems to print well with low layer heights
  8. Female torso. I think my printer has trouble with all of the retractions, but I had a terrible time printing this. The farthest I got was about the shoulders before a nozzle clog. Ended up sticking the Trex head on top of it, haha.
  9. Marijuana leaf cookie cutter. Printed this for some friends. The wall thickness is exactly wrong for typical line widths, so it causes a lot of skipping. Must either use one line width with a big nozzle, or use two very thin perimeters with a smaller nozzle. 
  10. Dragon. I tried printing the one with tree supports: those supports are a huge paint to try to get them to adhere to the bed. My nozzle kept knocking them off. I ended up having to print the head separately and glue it on. 
  11. Bathtub tug boat. Had to do some surgery to get it to float upright
  12. Hand clamp. Had to print the "sliding hinges" with brim or they just wouldn't stick. The holding force isn't great, though it is made of plastic...

Things that don't work

  1. X-axis belt tensioner. This just didn't print well. I think the tolerances are too tight, particularly for the screw holes and nut slot. The teeth for holding the belt also don't come out well, though changing orientation helped a little with this. 
  2. Bad spool 1. This one's radius is too large, which causes the spools to rest on the two edges, which causes a lot of friction, preventing them from turning.
  3. Bad spool 2. The threads on this one don't come out well unless your printer is very well tuned. Otherwise, the threads come out too weak to use. This was with PLA. Might work better with ABS or PETG. 
  4. Dial gauge clip holder. This one had the wrong size slot and wrong location hole. Use this thing, which has a CAD file you can modify. To be fair, it did "work", i.e. it held the gauge and clipped on the X-axis rods. But the problem with this is that the clipping and unclipping moves the Z axis slightly, and it's a pain to clip and unclip, which defies the whole purpose of making the bed easier to level. There are some dial indicator holders that mount to the stepper motor, which might be a good option.

Things I want to make

  1. DiiiCooler. I did already make this, but I want to remake it with PETG so it has a higher temperature resistance.

Test/calibration articles


No comments:

Post a Comment